Azzageddi

The Stand
Stephen King
Truman
David McCullough
Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him - Humberto Fontova Despite being unabashedly polemical, Fontova is fastidious in providing credible sources along with his assertions. This is not a balanced inspection of Che Guevara's life, so if that's what you're looking for, move right along. Fontova writing about Che is the equivalent of Richard Dawkins writing a history of the creationist movement. But just as Dawkins is a scientist and doesn't need to resort to lies to prove his point, neither does Fontova need to lie to paint an ugly portrait of Che. Fontova can back up what he writes. I'm no fan of Che, and I was aware before coming to this book that he was thoroughly covered in warts, like many leaders are, but some of the things I read were shocking. With that said, they were corroborated by official documents, eyewitness accounts, and in some cases, Che's diaries themselves!

If you're looking for an examination of the less-than-heroic aspects of the man and the myth, look no further. Despite the macabre subject matter, you may even find yourself chuckling at Fontova's Che: a bumbling, groveling coward who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag, let alone lead a global revolution; an appendical addition to the revolution in Cuba who relied more on his photogenicity than intellect, ferocity, or political skill.